Friday, November 18, 2011

So you don't want to be hungry?

Image from www.chocolateguru.net
I'm a fan of eating. I always eat everytime I feel like doing so. Whenever I leave our house I always make it to point to have with me some food. Sadly, this is a privilege for me that sometimes I overlook.

Every 7 seconds, 1 child dies because of hunger... So every minute, roughly 8 children die because they have nothing to eat. You may now chomping a bar of chocolate or digging a pack of chips while millions of kids out there are struggling and dying because of hunger. Statistics say that millions are suffering in starvation just here in the Philippines.

It's really a herculean task to fight against hunger, but this does not mean that we will not take any actions for it to stop.

Last year, I had a privilege to volunteer for the first 12-hour Famine of World Vision Philippines. It was really a memorable event for me because it's the first time that I abstained from food for such cause. ;)

The 12-hour Famine is a youth movement against hunger wherein young people gather to raise funds to help hungry children and their families. They will not eat any solid food for 12 straight hours to experience hunger first hand. On the same day, we also had fun games and activities and featured talented acts. World Vision celebrities supporters were also present in the event. (Honestly, I think this is the only event so far that I took part wherein I saw a lot of celebrities. ;P) These are some of the highlights from the last year's Famine event. (Photos are from World Vision's 12 Hour Famine Facebook)
Ms. Lea Salonga! (I was star struck when she passed in front of me at the backstage! ;P)
Ruffa Gutierrez and her lovely daughters! ;)
Host DJ/Ptr. Jordan Escusa and beauty queen Ms. Miriam Quiambao :)
Dingdong Dantes
Tippy dos Santos, Nikki Gil and Sam Concepcion! (They are really gifted with those voices!)

This year, the Famine event is back again! But unfortunately this time I will not be there (sad.. :( ). But I'm still going to promote this event because I believe some of you can come! Registration is until today, November 18, 2011 and the event will be tomorrow, 8am-8pm at the Ynarez Sports Arena, Pasig.

For more information about the registration and FAQ, please visit the 12-hour Famine's official site:


We are not alone in this! The Famine movement is all over the globe! There are 40-hour Famine Australia and New Zealand, 30-hour Famine Canada, US, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, Thailand and Taiwan and 24-hour Famine United Kingdom!

Being young is great. So add more greatness to it by participating in something relevant and by being part of something bigger than your life. You know, we are not here to live just for ourselves. In Deuteronomy 15:11 God says,

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

And this verse drives me to help the poor in Matthew 25:40

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Let's say no to hunger!

No comments:

Post a Comment